Overcoming Depression and Suicidal Thoughts
Last Tuesday I heard the news that fashion designer Kate Spade had committed suicide, leaving behind her husband, thirteen-year-old daughter, and 2.4 billion-dollar fashion empire.
I was heartbroken.
My daughters and I have loved her designs for years, often carrying her purses and phone cases. My youngest daughter always referred to her as a “girl boss.”
Kate Spade had what many women dream of—a thriving career, a powerful brand, money, notoriety, and success. Maybe that’s why the news of her suicide came as such a sad shock to the world.
How could a woman who had so much success be so unhappy?
According to news reports, Kate Spade battled with depression and anxiety for years, and surrounding turmoil in her marriage, made the decision to end her life alone one night in her apartment.
A couple of days later, news of another suicide was announced—TV show host Anthony Bourdain’s.
Stories like this grieve me. God has a better plan!
“‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future’” (Jeremiah 29:11, NIV).
God had a hope and a future for Kate and Anthony, just the same as He has one for you.
It’s time to WAGE A WAR ON SADNESS.
God has a plan of restoration, hope, and joy for you… Depression doesn’t have to hold you hostage any longer!
Satan comes to steal, kill, and destroy; and he often uses depression and anxiety to slip in through the back door.
Depression is an attack of the enemy in the same way sickness or spiritual warfare is.** It’s something we have to stand against with the Word of God! **
Too often, we live our lives with the mind-set that if I only had something else, I’d be happy.
“If I only had more money… more success… more talent… a better body… better friends… more time… a better marriage… calmer children… THEN I’d be happy.”
Happiness depends on our MIND-SET, not our CIRCUMSTANCES.
Kate Spade’s death is a sobering reminder that money can’t complete us; people can’t complete us; fame can’t complete us; only God can complete us.
You can have all of the riches in the world, but it won’t make you happy.
You can have the highest success in your dream job, but it won’t make you happy.
You can have fame and notoriety, but that won’t make you happy either.
There is nothing apart from God and His joy that can truly make us happy and complete. When we renew our minds with His Word and hope for our lives, we can rediscover our happiness and purpose in Him. Depression and sadness have no legal right to speak into our lives!
I want to encourage you today that if you’re battling depression, wage a war on sadness by starting with your thoughts. Take negative thoughts captive, and start meditating on positive words every day!
You may not notice the difference at first, but don’t quit. An AMAZING spiritual principle is in the works!
Philippians 4:6-7 (ESV) tell us, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
I promise that if you begin to change your focus, your whole life, attitude, and perception will change!
- The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. (John 10:10, NIV)
- You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. (1 John 4:4, NIV)
- Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken. (Psalm 55:22, NIV)
- Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:1-2, NIV)*
- The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. The righteous person may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all. (Psalm 34:18-19, NIV)
- The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. (Deuteronomy 31:8, NIV)
- He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. (Psalm 147:3, NIV)
- He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. (Revelations 21:4, NIV)
- My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26, NIV)
- Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering, yet we considered him punished by God, stricken by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed. We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all. (Isaiah 53:4-6, NIV)
- And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28, NIV)
Are you ready to get HAPPY? I’ve been working on something big, and I’m so excited I can finally tell you all about it! Introducing the online Happy Life subscription service!
I’ve put together EXCLUSIVE resources, just for this program, on parenting, family, relationships, thoughts, confidence, emotions, dreams, goals, and so much more! And it’s all in one place!
When you sign up for the Happy Life subscription service, you get:
• The complete collection of my teachings in one easy-to-access place
• Over 8,000 minutes of content
• Over 20 years of experience in ministry
• Content tailored just for you
• Personalized coaching from me
• Weekly contact, mentorship, and encouragement from me!
I’m so excited to go on this journey with you! Sign up for the Happy Life subscription today!